The Australian Music Prize, the most prestigious music award of the country, will return later this year with a newly revamped setup, including a list of 30 judges and 18 artists that are going to gun for the top prize. The artist with this year’s best album will be awarded a $30,000 prize, according to the judges.
Stella Donnelly and Thelma Plum are amongst the list of names that vie for the highly coveted prize. However, there are lesser-known artists who are also amongst the potential winners, shining lights on some of the lesser-known talent.
The 2019 Australian Music Prize will also have new judges as well as a new setting. The judges have already listened to 250 albums that were produced by musicians in Australia today. The judging panel includes radio music directors, music journalists, and artists across the country.
Judging will be made based only on artistic merit, with no emphasis that is placed on commercial success.
The judges will make a shortlist of 9 and then re-listen to those albums before coming to a decision.
Check out the nominees of the 2019 Australian Music Prize below:
- Andrea Keller – Transients Volume 1
- Alex Lahey – The Best of Luck Club
- Cub Sport – Cub Sport
- Charlie Collins – Snowpine
- Dispossessed – Warpath Never Ended
- Daggy Man – I’m Going To Love As Long As I Live
- Hatchie – Keepsake
- Emma Russack – Winter Blues
- King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – Fishing for Fishies
- Martin Frawley – Undone At 31
- Julia Jacklin – Crushing
- Olympia – Flamingo
- Mansionair – Shadowboxer
- Stella Donnelly – Beware of the Dogs
- Methyl Ethel – Triage
- Sunbeam Sound Machine – Goodness Gracious
- Jess Ribeiro – Love Hate
- Two People – First Body
- Polish Club – Iguana
- Thelma Plum – Better In Blak
- and more to come